Cake tins are used in baking. They are usually made out of metal and coated in a non-stick coating. They come in many different shapes and sizes.
If you like baking it is usually a good idea to have a few different sized tins at your disposal, investing in a set may be a good idea for you! It’s important to use the correct size of cake tin when baking as if can dramatically alter the end product.
Types of cake tins
- Traditional cake tins – Are usually circular, square or rectangular. They usually have high, straight sides and flat bottoms. Some are solid tins which make it difficult to remove cakes but some have a removable bottom which makes it much easier!
- Springform tins – Are most commonly round but they can be square or even heart-shaped. They have a removable bottom with sides that adjust round that can be secured by a clamp. They are great for cakes that are delicate and cannot be turned upside down like cheesecakes! To remove the cake simply open the clamp to loosen the tin.
- Novelty cake tins – Come in an endless variety of shapes and sizes! As they have more unusual shapes they will need to be greased a little more than traditional cake tins. You will most likely hire a novelty cake tin as you mak only need to use it once.
- Angel food cake tin – Angel food cake tins are round cake tins with a tube in the centre that creates a ring-shaped cake. It usually comes in two pieces that fit together. This is done to make removing the cake from the tin easier once it’s cooled.
- Bundt tin – Bundt tins like Angle food cake tins have holes in the centres for making ring-shaped cakes. Bunt tins have grooved sides which give the bunt cake its classic shape.