Spoons are a kitchen utensil with many different functions. They come in many different shapes, sizes and materials.
Spoons can be used as cutlery and as cooking/serving utensils. Cooking/serving spoons are also used in food preparation to measure, mix, stir and toss ingredients.
- Wooden spoon – As you mad expect wooden spoons are made of wood. They are used to stir things like soups, stews and other foods while they are cooking.
- Ladle – Have a deep bowl and a long handle. Ladles are used to hold and transfer large amounts of liquid. It is essential for making risotto. If you don’t have a label a cup can be a good substitute.
- Olive spoon – An olive spoon has a small hole in the centre of the bowl, it allows you to remove olives from their liquid more easily.
- Serving spoon – Is used to serve salads, vegetables and fruits. It’s larger than a tablespoon with a more rounded bowl and a longer handle. It is designed to take up food more easily
- Slotted spoon – Slotten spoons have slots or holes that catch pieces of food while letting liquid pass through.
- Bar spoon – is used in measuring ingredients for mixed drinks and cocktails.