If you didn’t know already ice is water frozen until solid. It is super useful in preserving food or just to make things cooler. Water freezes at 0 °C and can be frozen into any shape!
The number of air bubbles present in the water when frozen can affect the appearance. It can range from being completely transparent to opaque with a frosty white colour.
It is commonly added to drinks to keep them cool. Ice is essential for cocktail making as it is commonly shaken with the cocktail mixture to cool it down and to mix it together. You can also use it to make iced versions of your favourite drinks like tea and coffee.
Types of Ice
- Ice cubes – You probably have a tray of ice cubes in your freezer right now, they are the easiest to make at home and are really useful. Some freezers come with built-in ice makers allowing you to add ice to any drink at any time. Try to stay away from single-use ice bags as they are not environmentally friendly and just ends up costing you money.
- Reusable ice cubes – Can be made of plastic, stainless steel, and stone! They don’t melt and can be used over and over!
- Crushed ice – Great for cocktails like frozen margaritas, mojitos, and frozen daiquiris!
- Ice spheres – Spheres are great for bourbon or whiskey, they chill it without melting so quickly and look great.
- Novelty ice cubes – These ice cubes can come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. From smiley faces to goldfish you name it!
Drinking iced water provides hydration, helps our bodies digest food and kickstarts our metabolism. Staying hydrated also helps when it comes to weight loss, a lot of the time dehydration is preserved as hunger. It’s a good idea to have a glass of water before having a snack to make sure you aren’t consuming unnecessary calories.