First of all, What is sanding sugar? Sanding sugar is a decorative sugar that is available in a huge array of colours. It also reflects light giving it a sparkly look. Its texture differs from brand to brand but usually sanding sugar has large granules that resemble glitter more sand. This sugar is great for adding a little extra sparkle to your sweet things!
Sanding sugar is great for sprinkling over cakes and muffins to add some whimsy to your baking. You can also get creative with your cocktail making. Next time you preparing your favourite drink try dipping your glass into some sanding sugar for an injection of colour and fun!
How to make sanding sugar
Making sanding sugar at home is actually quite simple! It may not be as sparkly and the ones you can buy in the shops but it’s a good alternative if you can’t find any in your local supermarket. You will need:
- Coarse white sugar
- Food colouring of your choice
- A ziplock bag
- Baking tray lined with baking paper
So, here the directions for making sanding sugar:
- Start by adding some granulated sugar to your ziplock bag.
- Then add a small amount of food colouring.
- Close the bag and mix well.
- When the sugar is your desired colour add it to the baking tray and bake at 100˚C for 5-7 minutes.
- Once dry wait for it to cool and pass it through a coarse sieve.