Graters are kitchen utensils used to grate foods into fine pieces. It was invented by a man called François Boullier in France near the mid-1500s. The grater is a very useful kitchen tool, they are most commonly used to used to grate cheese, vegetables and zest fruits like lemon or oranges.
- Box Grater -is the most popular kitchen grater as it is so multifunctional. Like its name suggests it has a box-like shape with 3-4 sides. On each side, there are different types of grating slots. It is usually made of stainless steel with a handle on top for ease of use.
- Hand Grater – are most commonly used for cheese. They are flat or slightly curved and they usually have a handle.
- Rotary Graters – unlike traditional graters rotary graters have a drum with blades and a handle that rotates the blades and grates the food.
- Microplanes -, are similar to hand grater but with very fine blades. They are great for zesting citrus fruits.
- Spice Grater – typically quite small and curved with small holes with ridges. It is used to grate spices like nutmeg into a fine powder.